Friday, 10 April 2015

Flipped Learning, the Flipped Classroom and Twitter as a PLN: Favourite Pins Friday

My PLN (Personal Learning Network) is Twitter and I am continually amazed at the wealth of information that can be found via this amazing social media platform.


Flipped Learning, the Flipped Classroom and Twitter as a PLN: Favourite Pins Friday


I am currently researching the advantages and disadvantages of Flipped Learning and I have found an abundant selection of current and pedagogically sound resources about the Flipped Classroom on Twitter.




I will be testing all of my research and applying it a small group of ESL (English as a Second Language) students in one of my core classes. Like all the other educators I have met on Twitter who are flipping their classrooms, I am finding that the "traditional" classroom model is not catering to the needs of all of my students very well. I hope that by providing readings, videos and other material that would ordinarily be accessed by students during ,'normal' class time as homework content, my ESL students will be able to read ahead, make translations and gain a better understanding of content so they can engage with the content at a deeper level during the next lesson. Technology will be utilised to enhance understanding, encourage individualised learning and provide one-on-one help to students.



Image and post found at Edudemic

The students can watch short lessons, read primary and secondary sources, and listen to podcasts as many times as they wish. This will allow them to grasp the content at their own pace so they can come to class prepared to answer questions, work on inquiry-based projects, and expand their knowledge of the the content even further. This will also allow me to have extra time to assist non ESL students thus will hopefully improve student-teacher interaction for all students in the class.




Sample Flipped Class Session Agenda via University Business Magazine

All of the instructional or teachable content will still be shared to the whole class by way of lectures and explicit instruction but the content will be designed so it can be accessed outside class. I am confident that this will be a win-win situation for both the class and their teacher!


Flipping The Classroom: A Goldmine of Research and Resources To Keep You On Your Feet. Curated by Michael Gorman and found at 21st Century Educational Technology & Learning. 

The infographics below were found via Twitter and clearly describe the Four Pillars and 11 Standards Of Flipped Learning. It was released on March 12, 2014 by Kari M. Arfstrom, Executive Director of the Flipped Learning Network, an online community that provides educators with the knowledge, skills, and resources to successfully implement Flipped Learning.

These visual aids draw a distinction between Flipped Learning and a Flipped Classroom.


The checklist below describes 11 indicators that I will incorporate into my practice.




So, as you can see, there are so many advantages to using social media, in particular Twitter as your very own PLN. If you’re not using social media as part of your personal Professional Development I highly recommend it. A Guide to Social Media for Educators by Samantha Cleaver can be found at We Are Teachers and includes everything you need to know about connecting with other educators online. Just click the image to read the post.



I am often over at Twitter so if you would like someone new to follow or if you need a hand with getting started over there please let me know and I'll help as much as I can.  You can also follow me at Facebook, Google plusand Pinterest.


Image via Imagine Learning

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,
Natasha

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your new blog. Are you planning on connecting to bloglovin? That's how I follow my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al! Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I must confess I hadn't even thought of bloglovin! I will look into it. Thanks for the reminder!

      Thanks also for your comment-you are so kind. I really appreciate your support!

      Best wishes,
      Natasha

      Delete
  2. Thank you for allowing me to learn something new today Natasha! New followers and sharing the love today!

    ReplyDelete